Writing an Artist Statement

  Writing an artist statement is something I struggle with extensively. Its hard to get the balance between substance and pretension right without seeming passionless. Here is my first attempt:

 
   I am a figurative painter working with traditional techniques, using printmaking and photography to develop and plan my pieces. I want to convey simple emotions that I experience and understand, and through my techniques and creativity convey that emotion. No big revolutionary concept just simple moments.
  I believe artist should convey what they themselves have experienced and not some over dramatic image, based on things that they've only read about and are probably exceptionally ignorant of. This might make slightly more unremarkable subjects matters, but because of their authenticity probably much more complex. The reality of the person compared with the persona they are presenting has always fascinated me. It is a constant balancing act that many artists have explored to different decrees of success. This is possibly because there is no possible conclusive answer, but which I will enjoy studying nonetheless in the forth-coming year. 

  At first it was over 500 words long, and this is the very very shortened version. 

Comments

Popular Posts