Quick Still Lives

  Between struggling with harder paintings, cutting and priming a new set of painting boards, I worked on a few still lives. These paintings took between an hour and five to complete and are now finished. They show a more practiced hand in mark making, but there is still a lot to learn. I really enjoyed them, and found them quite therapeutic while struggling my way through much more complex art work.

Garlic Still Lives



  These paintings took around an hour each and were extremely fun and satisfying. The canvas board is extremely small, 4 x 6 inches, so that I covered the space in a matter of minutes. Its a much better way of waiting for priming on larger pieces to dry, even if in such a short time I'm unlikely to create mind provoking masterpieces.

Still Life of Art Materials

   Since I was struggling all week I decided to have a clean break, start and finish two paintings within a day, play with tone and mark making without worrying too much about the results. I started with a very dark ground, so that the lightest areas would be a struggle and I'd need to work at it, preventing me from going straight to garish white v black. In all my favorite paintings the tonal affect is rendered through subtlety. Its something I need to learn.





Comments

Popular Posts