Still Life- Work in Progress

  I've been trying to give this piece a little depth, its horrible unconnected and empty at the moment. I'm determined to make my pieces with depth and meaning even if they are simple still lives. They shoudl suggest a person in some way, much in the same way as Van Gough's chairs or Cezannes apple. 
The colours aren't half so mustardy in real life but it gives an idea of what its like
   Next I need to work on making the veg stand out but at the same time sit in the painting with weights, suggesting in the mark making the textures and feel of their surfaces. 
  If you recognise the wallpaper but don't quite know where then I confess I'm ripping off Cezanne's:
http://uploads7.wikipaintings.org/images/paul-cezanne/still-life-1877.jpg
Cezanne 'Still Life' - 1877

 18/11/2013
  I've been working a little more on this still live, and have added a pile of fabric behind the bowl to create a more distinct composition and give some sort of explanation on why the bowl is slanted. I think its working a lot better and its looking a lot richer and filling the canvas much more comfortably. Whats needed now is a lot more texture and weight to the objects. 

  ON a side note- photographing it in the morning light, over around a second shutter speed seems to create a much better photograph. Still looking for the perfect technique but they are getting a lot better.


12/11/2013
 
  I'm trying to work up a collection of still lives which might sell. This is half way though but I am enjoying it so far.

Comments

Popular Posts