Landmark Art Fair

This weekend was the long awaited Landmark Art Fair. As it turned out it was a big let down in terms of sales. The weather was sunny, and the organizers lack of publicity, meant that very few people actually came. The quality of the other exhibitors was very varied but there were a few rather good ones. The gentleman beside me definitely had technique, his work was almost delicate but he also didn't sell a thing. The stall cost, equipment and travel, almost six hundred and the one painting I sol equaled a hundred and twenty. On the plus side I managed to talk to other artists, I saw peoples response to my work and which pieces worked and which were completely overlooked.




  The biggest response was to the painting 'Taking Stock' (furthest to the left), people would see and smile, something laugh, and nudge the person next to them. It seemed instantly to endear itself to people, no one sneered of looked offended by it, their first response would be to say "I've done that", "I know how she feels" and "I've been there".  Its definitely an avenue I need to pursue.
  The Figaro Triptych also got a bit of attention, people seemed impressed with the skill involved in painting them but few understood the subject matter without been told. They do look good hung one onto of the other, they bounce off each other well.
  The videos did exactly what I thought they would. They caught peoples eye and made them pause just a little longer. That said, next time I do this it would be a lot better if I had a little plinth on which it place it.
  On the whole the fair is not worth doing again and I noticed walking round that there was no one who'd come twice, it was everyone's first time. Obviously this was not an off year, but an indication that the fair really is not well known. 


Comments

Popular Posts