Making Drastic Changes to an Old Painting

    I spent a fruitless afternoon trying to adjust the lower leg but it remained stunted and cramped. Looking through initial sketches and studies I found myself returning to the ones with her legs up. I wanted the figures to fill each part of the canvas but this might also work. Its not easy doing such drastic changes because I'd have to paint work which took me days if not weeks to produce. But it wasn't working, I  could roll it up incomplete or take the risk of wrecking completely in the hope of achieving the painting I wanted from the start. Either way, I want to repaint this piece from the beginning and taking the risk will teach me enough to make it worth the risk.

Here I've raised the feet and sketched the outline of the new blanket


Blocking out the bed and adding the first layers of blanket help me see if I made a mistake or not
   Once the blanket was added and her leg blotted out I felt safer in my decision, the canvas finally looked like the right size for the figures and her body curves nicely in the right direction. Moreover the fabric had a better shape and flow to it.
  Now all I need to do it improve the skin tones and light. Hopefully the stuff I've learned over the last few years will aid me in not making a pigs ears of this before the exhibition set up on the 11th.

Comments

Popular Posts